VIBRANT ISTANBUL & TURKEY
11-DAY PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP IN TURKEY June 12 - June 22, 2019
A spectacular sunset over the travertine pools that was the spa for ancient Romans. This is in Pumakkale where we will spend time and get our feet wet just as the Romans did!
For centuries, Turkey has been at the crossroads of Europe, Asia and Africa. Today, Turkey is a modern country with deep roots in tradition. Istanbul in particular is a vibrant city with cultural influences that gives colour, texture and flavour to every experience we will encounter.
We first meet in Istanbul to greet each other and have a meal together. For those who feel up to it after a day of traveling, we will head out for a shooting session on the streets. The next day we take a short flight to the seaside resort town of Kusadasi where we will stay for several days, using this beautiful location as a base from which to take day trips to various locations.
When we have explored the area around Kusadasi, including an exciting overnight location, we return to Istanbul. Back in Istanbul we will have full days of exploring and photographing street life and beautiful mosques, including the spectacular, Blue Mosque. We will have the opportunity to view the city from a boat on the Bosporus as we take a boat cruse along the strait, one of the points that separate continental Asia and Europe. From the Spice Market to the Grand Bazaar to underground cisterns, you will experience life, culture and beauty in unique ways that will leave you breathless and wanting to return.
Our last afternoon together will be a relaxed presentation session where workshop participants will present a curated gallery of favourite images from this trip. So check your calendar and reserve the date for this small-group workshop to one of the most fascinating locations in the world.
"Spencer is a brilliant (and patient) teacher! The workshop was structured so that each lesson amplifies the previous one. It worked! After a few hours I was taking the best landscape photographs of my life."
– John Ferri
DAY-BY-DAY WORKSHOP ITINERARY (subject to change. Meals included are indicated as, B L D)
JUNE 12 ( D ) Wednesday
• Meet & greet and a presentation on Turkey and what to expect.
• Stay in Izmir tonight
JUNE 13 ( BD ) Thursday
• After Breakfast, train to Selçuk
• Selçuk exploration
• Taxi to Ephesus for late day visit
• Stay night in Selçuk
JUNE 14 ( D ) Friday
• Sunrise session
• Head to train station to Pumakalle
• Explore Pumakalle and sunset session there
JUNE 15 ( BD ) Saturday
• Sunrise over Pumakalle travertine pools
• Train to Selçuk then Kusadasi
• Dinner on rooftop of hotel
• Walk the beach in the evening
JUNE 16 ( BLD ) Sunday
• After breakfast, taxi to Sirinçe
• We explore this small village and have an authentic Turkish coffee
• Beautiful small village with a lot of lovely village life to shoot and explore
• Return to Kusadasi
• Sunset session on Pigeon Island
JUNE 17 ( D ) Monday
• We make our way to Izmir airport and fly to Istanbul
• Free time to explore
• Dinner and sunset session along the Bosporus at the Ortakoy Mosque
JUNE 18 ( BD ) Tuesday
• Sunrise session at the Blue Mosque
• Visit the Grand bazaar
• Walk to the Suleymaniye Mosque
JUNE 19 ( LD ) Wednesday
• After breakfast we go to the Galata bridge. Great street photography the area.
• Walk to the Galata Tower.
• Boat cruise with dinner on Bosporus
JUNE 20 ( LD ) Thursday
• Visit the underground Basilica Cisterns
• Spend the afternoon exploring Hagia Sophia
• After dinner, we shoot the Whirling Dervishes
JUNE 21 ( LD ) Friday
• Explore Balat area of the city for rich street photography
• Portrait session with local artist (TBA)
• Sunset session at Kiz Kules
JUNE 21 ( D ) Saturday
• Explore and do a bit of shopping on Istiklal Street
• Final dinner and look over photos
JUNE 22 Saturday • Depart for Istanbul airport
IMAGES OF TURKEY gallery
WHAT TO EXPECT ON THIS PHOTOGRAPHIC WORKSHOP
• This is a physically easy/moderate trip. There will be uneven ground in some locations and some periods of walking inclines. It is recommended that participants wear sturdier hiking shoes for greater comfort.
• Local food is fresh, healthy and abundant.
• Accommodations are all clean tested by me and intimate. All places will have wifi.
• Do not expect to make purchase with your debit card. You will need to have plenty of cash on hand. Credit cards are also accepted.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR WORKSHOP
• One-on-one and group instruction when needed from Spencer Wynn.
• All accommodations
• Domestic flights included
• Local drivers and guides.
• Bosporus cruise and dinner
• Most meals
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR WORKSHOP
• International flights from and to your home country
• Trip / health insurance
• Tourist visas for those who require them
• Delays due to weather or other unavoidable delay conditions
WHAT TO BRING
• The weather will be quite warm in Kusadasi and slightly cooler in Istanbul. Pack light breathable layers and a hat with a brim that will offer some degree of shade.
• It goes without saying that you need to bring your camera(s) that you are able to change lenses. Any recent DSLR or mirrorless camera will be best. It is understood that you will know how to use the camera and know how to use your camera in manual mode.
• Lenses are personal choices and are subject to what you own and your style of shooting. Personally, I travel with minimal gear: A few wide lenses with large apertures for low light and astro photography. The lighter you travel, the more you focus on what you are shooting!
• A small and sturdy tripod is recommended, especially when we shoot in low light. Personally, I love the Job, GorillaPod tripods for their small size and sturdy build.
• Extra memory cards and storage, laptop, batteries and chargers are to be carefully planned. You will need a few power adapters for Turkish wall outlets – these can be found at many places including drug stores.
• A personal first aid kit, water bottle and other items that will give you comfort are recommend.
Location: Istanbul and Kusadasi, Turkey
Dates: June 12-22, 2019
Trip Leader: Spencer Wynn Assistant: Cecilia Zhang
Itinerary: (Full itinerary to be provided to participants upon arrival.)
Price/Payment Schedule: Full Cost: CAD $4800. All taxes included.
Payment options: All payments must be made electronically by e-transfer or PayPal to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-Refundable Deposit: CAD $1500 (due upon booking)
• Payment #1: CAD $1,100 - due February 15, 2019
• Payment #2: CAD $1,100 - due March 15, 2019
• Payment #3: CAD $1,100 - due April 15, 2019
Note: If payments are not made by the due dates, the deposit is forfeited and your spot will be available to another interested participant. If unforeseen circumstances arise, participants are welcome to transfer/sell their space to another interested participant. In such case, participants are responsible for handling payment for the transfer.
Participants: 4 minimum; 8 maximum. 4 participants are required for this workshop to proceed. If the minimum number is not reached by March 15, 2019 the workshop may be cancelled and deposits will be refunded in full to participants. See our cancellation policy below for more details.
Accommodations: The workshop price is based on double occupancy. For those participating in the workshop that are not traveling with a friend, partner, or spouse, we will ensure all participants are partnered with a roommate of the same sex. If one wishes to have a private room, the additional cost will be calculated on April 15, 2019.
Refund Policy: The refund policy for this workshop is as follows: 1 Cancellations made 90 days or more from the first date of this workshop: A full refund will be provided, less a $25 administration fee. 2 Cancellations made between 31 and 90 days from the first date of the workshop: A 50% refund will be provided, less a $25 administration fee. 3 Cancellations made within 30 days of the first date of the workshop: No refund will be provided (but, see note below). 4 Unexplained absence from a workshop: No refund will be provided. 5 Leaving a course in progress: No refund will be provided. There will be no refund from Spencer Wynn provided other than that described above. All requests for a refund must be made in writing (Email is preferred).
Cancellation Policy: Spencer Wynn, or designate, reserves the right to cancel a workshop at anytime due to illness, low enrolment, or any other reason. If a workshop is cancelled, 100% of your enrolment fees will be refunded.
Right to Refuse Service: Spencer Wynn, or designate, reserve the right to accept, decline, or remove any participant in any photo workshop. Spencer Wynn, or designate, also reserves the right, without penalty, to make changes in the itinerary whenever, in their judgement, conditions warrants, or if they deem it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of participants.
Insurance: For your protection during the workshop, we highly recommend obtaining travel insurance if you are travelling to attend this workshop.
Travel Visas: It is the participant's responsibility to ensure they have a valid Travel Visa (if applicable/required) for the duration of the workshop.
Release of Liability: By agreeing to these Terms & Conditions you agree, in full, to hereby release Spencer Wynn, and all other entities involved with this workshop (including, but not limited to, other instructors, guides, students, etc) from any and all liability.
Passports: Passports must be valid for more than 6 months beyond the workshop duration.
Use of Images: By agreeing to these Terms & Conditions you agree, in full, to not use any photograph obtained during this workshop in a manner that violates any applicable laws (including, but not limited to: municipal laws, provincial laws, and federal laws). Of specific note: No images captured during this workshop may be used for commercial purposes of any kind.
Final Note: Photography workshops may involve significant walking, standing in place for extended periods of time, sitting in classrooms and spending significant amounts of time outdoors. By registering for this workshop you confirm that you understand this and that is appropriate to your physical abilities and interests. At all times you agree to be personally responsible for your own well being.
A visual journalist for over 30 years, Spencer has developed a keen sense of storytelling through compelling visual narratives. It is on the streets that Spencer feels most alive in Turkey – life is lived on the street and there are endless stories to photograph there.
Along the shore of the emerald Aegean sea and inland to historic sites and villages, this is a place Spencer feels very much at home and is excited to return and show others why Istanbul and Turkey is a place of beauty and hospitality.
Spencer has restricted the number of participants to a minimum in order to maximize personal instruction, learning and experimenting.